According to the Vietnamese health authorities, the 26-year-old man showed symptoms on March 31 and worked until last Monday. He was diagnosed with COVID-19 on Sunday.
To protect its workers, Samsung
Display said it is disinfecting facilities and commuter buses at the plant. It has also asked those who had contact with the virus-infected employee to self-quarantine.
Nguyen Huong Giang, chair of the People's Committee of Bac Ninh province, told state broadcaster VTV on Monday that 44 people at the unit had been quarantined, and that the factory and buses used to transport workers have been sprayed with disinfectant.
Recently, Samsung Display’s parent Samsung Electronics
had to suspend its home appliance factory in the United States after two of its workers had tested positive for coronavirus.
The South Korean tech giant said its facility, located in Newberry County, South Carolina, is being thoroughly cleaned and sanitised.
When the outbreak first started in China last year, Samsung's strategy of spreading out its production base to countries including Vietnam and India seemed to pay off. But as the virus spread across the globe, Samsung too has had to close factories and retail stores in Europe, India and the United States.