“The PhonePe business continues to grow and perform very well,” said McMillon. “These are homegrown businesses with innovation and solving problem for the Indian customer at their core. We continue to be impressed with Flipkart
and PhonePe talent led Kalyan (Krishnamurthy) and Sameer (Nigam).”
Last July, Walmart led a $1.2-billion round in Flipkart, valuing the e-commerce firm at $24.9 billion. Also, PhonePe recently raised $700 million in primary capital at a post-money valuation of $5.5 billion from the existing Flipkart
investors, including Tiger Global, led by Walmart. Both the companies
are now planning to go public in the U.S in the next 1-2 years, according to the sources.
Brett Biggs, executive vice-president and chief financial officer for Walmart, said the retailer is different from what it was last year or five years ago. He said Walmart is now one of the largest e-commerce companies
in the world approaching $100 billion in revenue in the next couple of years and would cross $200 billion in revenue for online retail after that.
“In India, we are the majority owner of one of the largest e-commerce and payments businesses in one of the largest and fastest-growing economies of the world,” said Biggs. “In India, we see significant growth opportunities for Flipkart and PhonePe. It is exciting to see the emerging middle class rapidly adopting e-commerce and using their mobile phones for money transfer, insurance and other services.”
Only 7 per cent of the $1.2-trillion retail market is online, and Walmart-owned Flipkart and its rivals including Amazon and Reliance’s JioMart are aggressively eyeing the remaining 93 per cent. The market opportunities for online commerce in the country are also expected to touch $200 billion by 2028 from $30 billion in 2018.
Walmart’s reported annual revenue of nearly $560 billion, which resulted in $35 billion of growth, an increase of 6.7 per cent. For the fourth quarter, it reported record revenue of $152.1 billion, an increase of $10.4 billion or 7.3 per cent.
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.