2015 Patidar agitation: Gujarat court sends Hardik Patel to 2 years in jail

Hardik Patel: Photo: ANI twitter handle

A Gujarat court sentenced Patidar quota agitation leader Hardik Patel and two others to two years imprisonment in a case of rioting and arson in Visnagar town in July 2015 on Wednesday.

Later, Hardik Patel and his two aides - Lalji Patel and A K Patel - were granted bail by the same court.

Visnagar sessions court Judge V P Agarwal held Hardik Patel, Lalji Patel and A K Patel guilty under IPC sections pertaining to rioting, arson, damage to property and unlawful assembly.

The three were awarded two years imprisonment along with a fine of Rs 50,000 each, which the trio deposited in the court on Wednesday.

The other 14 accused were let off by the court for want of enough evidence against them.

From the penalty collection of Rs 150,000, the court ordered that Rs 10,000 be given to TV channel reporter Suresh Vanol, Rs 100,000 to the owner of a car torched by the mob during violence and Rs 40,000 to local BJP MLA, Rishikesh Patel, towards damage caused to his property.

Hardik Patel, 25, was one of the accused in the FIR which was filed in Mehsana district on July 23, 2015, when a rally of the Patel community seeking reservation turned violent in Visnagar, resulting in damage to property and assault on some media persons.

During the violent agitation, the mob had torched a car and vandalised the office of local BJP MLA Rishikesh Patel.

A rally of more than 25,000 people of the Patel community demanding reservation was then at the initial stage of quota movement in Gujarat.

At that time, Hardik Patel was not a known figure and was one of the foot soldiers of Lalji Patel, who is the president of the Sardar Patel Group (SPG), a quota agitation body.

The rally in Visnagar was the first prominent event of the quota movement when Hardik Patel came into limelight.

As per the case details, when the rally reached near the office of MLA Patel, some Patidar community members tried to meet him to hand over a memorandum of their demands.

However, when they did not find the MLA in his office, they got angry and ransacked his office.

It was also alleged that protesters had torched a car parked on a road in the area.

Some media persons were also attacked by the mob at that time.

The complainant in the case was TV channel reporter Vanol, who was brutally thrashed by those present in the rally.


Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel