Both sides should strictly respect, observe LAC: MEA after talks with China

Maxar WorldView-3 satellite image shows ‘structures’ along LAC and Patrol Point 14 in the eastern Ladakh sector of Galwan Valley photo: reuters
India and China on Wednesday agreed that expeditious implementation of the previously agreed understanding on disengagement of troops from standoff points in eastern Ladakh would help ensure peace and tranquillity in the border areas, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.

The two sides held diplomatic talks through video conference to explore ways to ease tension along the Line of Actual Control in the eastern Ladakh region.

The MEA said the situation in the region was discussed in detail and the Indian side conveyed its concerns over the violent face-off in Galwan Valley on June 15. Twenty Indian Army personnel were killed in the clash.

"In this regard, it was emphasised that both sides should strictly respect and observe the Line of Actual Control," the MEA said in a statement.

The Chinese foreign ministry in a statement said the two sides will actively cooperate with the militaries of the two countries to implement the outcomes of the two rounds of military-level talks on June 6 and June 22.

The two sides agreed to strengthen communication and coordination through military and diplomatic channels and peacefully resolve relevant issues in border areas through bilateral dialogue and consultation, it added.

The MEA said the two delegations agreed that the expeditious implementation of the understanding on disengagement would help ensure peace and tranquillity in border areas and the development of a broader relationship between the two countries.

The talks were held between Joint Secretary (East Asia) in the Ministry of External Affairs Naveen Srivastava and Director General in the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs Wu Jianghao.

The MEA said the two sides also agreed to maintain communication both at diplomatic and military levels including to resolve the existing situation peacefully.

The talks took place two days after Chinese and Indian armies arrived at a "mutual consensus" to "disengage" from all the friction points in eastern Ladakh.

Recent border clash caused by India, says China DefMin

China’s defence ministry said on Wednesday a border clash between China and India was caused by the Indian side. The Indian actions violated a consensus between the two countries and were a unilateral provocation, the Chinese ministry said on its social media account. Asserting that China and India are "important neighbours to each other", China on Wednesday said maintaining peace and tranquillity along the Sino-India border is in the common interests of both the parties and requires joint efforts. In separate statements, the Chinese foreign and the defence ministries, however, repeated Beijing's stand that India was responsible for the June 15 face-off . Agencies



Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel