"The police personnel have replied to the show cause notices. After considering their replies to the show cause notice and after hearing them, the Special Inspector General of Police, Konakan range has issued final orders on August 21 imposing punishment upon the delinquent police personnel...," it said.
On August 6, the apex court had directed the Maharashtra Police to inform it on the action taken against the police personnel involved in the case.
The Maharashtra Police have also sought dismissal of petitions against it in the top court with costs, citing that two charge sheets have been filed in the matter so far.
On August 6, the Maharashtra government, through an affidavit filed in the Supreme Court, opposed the PILs for transferring the Palghar lynching case investigation to the CBI or a court-monitored probe. The government informed the top court that enough has been done, as 300 accused have been charge sheeted and 6 police officials suspended already.
In the affidavit, the state police said that considering the seriousness of the Palghar lynching case and large number of accused involved, and in "order to maintain the complete fairness, independence and the transparency in the investigation, (the police) transferred the said case to the specialised unit of state criminal investigation department (CID), Pune with effect from April 20."
A bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan and R. Subhash Reddy had asked the Maharashtra government about the action taken against the erring police officials as months have passed after the lynching incident. The top court asked for inquiry reports, details of investigation and asked the police to submit a charge sheet in the case before it for scrutiny.
The top court's order came on the PIL filed by advocate Shashank Shekhar Jha.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.