Covid-19 jabs cross 22-million mark on PM Narendra Modi's birthday

The government has urged people to ensure that they are fully vaccinated, especially ahead of the upcoming festive season
India gave more than 22 million Covid vaccine doses in a single day on Friday, setting a new record for daily vaccinations in the country. The milestone was achieved on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s birthday. Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya described the achievement as a birthday gift on behalf of health workers and citizens to Modi. 

Mandaviya raised his fists in the air and said, “We did it.” He was visiting the Covid vaccination site at Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital where he distributed sweets to health workers and other staff and congratulated them on the landmark vaccination. 

Bharatiya Janata Party-ruled states including Bihar, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat gave maximum jabs.

The significant jump in the daily vaccination numbers, which had so far crossed the 10-million mark on a few occasions, has also improved India’s overall inoculation coverage. The CoWIN website too highlighted a tracker showing the real time vaccine administration. 

The share of fully vaccinated people among the eligible population now stands at 21 per cent, up from 20 per cent a day earlier. Around 63 per cent of the population above 18 years has received a single dose so far.

Business Standard’s analysis showed that of the 20 million doses on Friday, nearly 40 per cent were second and remaining 60 per cent were first doses. The average daily vaccinations are also up for the month of September to more than 8 million daily doses. This number was just about 6 million average daily doses per day in August.

The government has urged people to ensure that they are fully vaccinated, especially ahead of the upcoming festive season. While India’s weekly test positivity rate is at 1.97 per cent, the daily positivity rate as on Friday morning was higher at 2.25 per cent. 

Thirty-two districts in India are still reporting a weekly positivity rate between five and ten per cent and 34 districts are reporting more than 10 per cent weekly positivity. 

So far ten states in India including Kerala which is contributing highest to the active caseload of the country, have vaccinated more than 85 per cent of their eligible population with a single dose of Covid vaccine.


Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel