Efforts on to resume Delhi govt's free coaching scheme soon: Minister

Photo: Shutterstock

Free coaching for meritorious students under a Delhi government scheme has hit COVID-19 roadblock, but efforts are on to resume the classes soon, Social Welfare Minister Rajendra Pal Gautam said on Thursday.

Coaching classes under the 'Jai Bhim Mukhyamantri Pratibha Vikas Yojna' for this session had started in March.

"But the pandemic disrupted the classes," he said.

Around 15,000 seats have been reserved in 46 reputed coaching institutions under the scheme this year, the minister said.

Online classes could not be started as it is difficultto monitor how many students are taking them. Also, many students don't have a laptop or mobile phone. So, this puts them at a disadvantage, Gautam said.

"We want to start the classes as soon as possible. If the Centre allows, we can start in September," he said.

The Delhi government had last year expanded the scheme to include all children who have passed Class X and XII from the national capital and whose annual family income is less than ?8 lakh.

Earlier, the scheme was only for students belonging to the Scheduled Castes category.

The maximum financial assistance a student can avail under it was also increased from Rs 40,000 to Rs 1 lakh.

Students can avail the scheme to prepare forexaminations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission, Delhi Subordinate Services Selection Board, Staff Selection Commission, Railway Recruitment Board, banks and insurance companies and to prepare for medical and engineering pre-examinations.

Last year, 4,953 students got free coaching under the scheme.


(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel