Convicted Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad was on Monday shifted to a Ranchi hospital for follow-up treatment – after he met Congress chief Rahul Gandhi at New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), where he was undergoing a treatment for heart and kidney-related ailments.
First Lalu Prasad and then his son Tejashwi Yadav alleged that the move was part of a conspiracy against the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief.
"I am being shifted to a place where there are no facilities. It is a tough time, but I will face it,” Lalu said, according to news agency IANS. Calling the shifting 'surprising', Tejashwi said he saw in this a wider conspiracy to kill his father.
But AIIMS spokesperson B N Acharya said the decision was taken following the recommendation of a medical board constituted for his treatment who found significant improvement in his health.
"Lalu Prasad was referred from Ranchi medical college to AIIMS for management of his acute medical condition. He has improved significantly and as per advise of the medical board constituted for his treatment, he is being referred back to Ranchi medical college for management of his chronic issues. He is currently stable and is fit to travel," Acharya said in a statement. The former Bihar Chief Minister, who was admitted to AIIMS on March 29, wrote in a letter to AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria: "If I am sent from AIIMS to Ranchi medical college, in case of any danger to my life, sole responsibility will be on you all.
"Doctors are a reflection of God. They should not take any decision under pressure from any individual or political party. Their first duty is towards a complete recovery of the patient's health. Till the time I am fully healthy, I should be kept here for treatment," he added. Earlier in the day, Rahul Gandhi called on Lalu Prasad at AIIMS and had a half hour meeting with him.
A medical team of six doctors from departments of surgery, cardiology, nephrology and neurology had been overseeing Lalu Prasad's treatment at AIIMS. In his letter, the former Bihar Chief Minister said he was brought to AIIMS for better treatment of heart disease, kidney infection, sugar and other ailments and he was yet to fully recover.
He said he had backache, frequent dizziness and had fallen in the bathroom several times.
Lalu Prasad said comprehensive treatment for kidney-related diseases was not available at the Birsa Munda Jail, Ranchi, and the Ranchi Medical College and Hospital, Ranchi (the old name of RIMS). "Every citizen has the fundamental right to get full treatment as per his satisfaction," he said. "I don't know under which agency or political pressure the sudden decision to shift me from here is being taken," he said, and added that it would take 16 hours by train to travel from Delhi to Ranchi.
He was admitted to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) on March 17 following complaints of uneasiness when he was lodged at the Birsa Munda Jail where he is serving a jail term since December 23, 2017 in connection with the fodder scam. He has been convicted in four fodder scam cases since 2013 — the latest being the Dumka treasury case in which a special CBI court sentenced him to 14 years in jail.
Meanwhile, Lalu Yadav has arrived in Ranchi and is being taken to the city's Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences for further treatment.
Here are the top 10 highlights of Lalu Prasad’s discharge from AIIMS hospital, corruption case and more
1. Tejashwi Yadav alleges conspiracy:
Lalu Prasad's younger son and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav on Monday said the decision to shift Yadav from AIIMS in New Delhi to a Ranchi hospital was part of a conspiracy to kill him
"Laluji is not well; he is still seriously ill. I met him last week and saw his bad health condition. It is surprising why Laluji has been shifted from AIIMS to a Ranchi hospital. Everyone knows AIIMS is the best for treatment for Laluji, who is suffering from several serious diseases.
"Depriving him of proper treatment is part of a conspiracy to kill my father," Tejashwi told the media in Patna.
1. Rahul met Lalu for support in 2019 elections, says Shah: BJP President Amit Shah claimed that Congress President Rahul Gandhi met convicted RJD leader Lalu Prasad Yadav in Delhi on Monday to seek his support in the 2019 general elections.
"Rahul has understood that he cannot win the 2019 general elections without the support of Lalu, who stands convicted for corruption. Rahul wants his (Lalu's) support despite the corruption issue," Shah said at a public meeting in the mining region of Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) in Kolar district, about 80 km northeast from here.
2. Lalu Prasad discharged from AIIMS hospital: RJD supremo Lalu Prasad, serving a jail term in fodder scam cases, left AIIMS on a wheelchair this afternoon after being discharged by the hospital, which said his condition had improved significantly. AIIMS spokesperson B N Acharya said the decision was taken following the recommendation of a medical board constituted for his treatment who found significant improvement in his health.
AIIMS, in a statement, said, "Lalu Prasad was referred from Ranchi Medical College to AIIMS for management of his acute medical condition. He has improved significantly and as per advice of the medical board constituted for his treatment, he is being referred back to Ranchi Medical College for management of his chronic issues. He is currently stable and is fit to travel."
Reacting to the allegations, the RJD accused Modi of indulging in "below the belt politics".
The BJP leader, who has been continuously accusing Lalu Prasad and his family of financial irregularities, launched his fresh attack on a day when the RJD supremo, serving a jail term in fodder scam cases, left AIIMS on a wheelchair after being discharged by the hospital in the national
capital, even as his party termed the move a "conspiracy to murder him".
In Bihar's capital, Sushil Modi asserted that both Lalu Prasad and Rabri Devi during their tenures as chief ministers had extended favours to the Tatas and in return the industry house too extended favours to the RJD chief and his family.
4. Lalu Prasad cries ‘political conspiracy’: The former Bihar chief minister alleged a "political conspiracy" behind his discharge. The RJD leader said shifting him back to the Ranchi hospital was a conspiracy so that his health would deteriorate further. "I am being shifted to a place where there are no facilities. It is a tough time, but I will face it,” Lalu said, according to news agency IANS.
"Doctors are a reflection of god. They should not take any decision under pressure from any individual or political party. Their first duty is towards complete recovery of the patient's health. Till the time I am fully healthy, I should be kept here for treatment," he added.
5. Lalu Prasad doesn’t want to be shifted from AIIMS hospital: Lalu Prasad, who was undergoing treatment at AIIMS, wrote a letter to the hospital authority requesting not to shift him back to Ranchi hospital. "Everyone has to right to receive treatment to their utmost satisfaction," he said in the letter.
Lalu, who was admitted to the AIIMS hospital on March 29, in the letter stated, "I don't want to be shifted back to Ranchi hospital, as that hospital is not properly equipped to treat my ailments."
The RJD supremo even went on to say that if anything happens to him during the shifting process then AIIMS hospital authorities will be responsible.
"I don't know under which agency or political pressure the sudden decision to shift me from here is being taken," he said, and added that it would take 16 hours by train to travel from Delhi to Ranchi.
6. Supporters create ruckus outside hospital: Supporters of Lalu Prasad created ruckus in the hospital premises protesting the AIIMS' decision, with his party alleging that there is a conspiracy to "murder" their leader by "forcing him out" of the premier hospital even though he continues to suffer from various ailments. During the ruckus, the supporters broke a glass door resulting in injury of a security guard, and abused administration officials, including the director, hospital sources alleged, adding a police complaint has been lodged against unidentified people over the matter.
7. AIIMS files complaint against protestors: AIIMS filed a complaint with Delhi Police alleging miscreants misbehaved with AIIMS staff while protesting over Lalu Prasad Yadav's discharge from the hospital.
All India Institute of Medical Services(AIIMS) files complaint with Delhi Police alleging miscreants misbehaved with #AIIMS staff while protesting over Lalu Prasad Yadav's discharge from hospital. pic.twitter.com/hF3849Zz8E
— ANI (@ANI) April 30, 2018
8. Lalu Prasad stopped at New Delhi Railway station: While leaving from New Delhi Railway Station, some policemen stopped Lalu Prasad, asking him to step back. This led to an argument between the RJD supremo and policemen, where the former is heard saying, "Is the superintendent of police (SP) my boss?"
#WATCH: Lalu Prasad Yadav argues with a Policeman at New Delhi Railway Station, says, 'This Policemen is asking me to step back, saying that the SP said so, is the SP my boss?' Lalu Prasad Yadav is leaving for Ranchi after being discharged from Delhi's AIIMS. pic.twitter.com/mscGhHWqfC
— ANI (@ANI) April 30, 2018
9. Rahul Gandhi meets Lalu Prasad: Congress president Rahul Gandhi today met RJD chief Lalu Prasad in Delhi at AIIMS, where the former Bihar chief minister was undergoing treatment.
Rahul Gandhi met the RJD president at his private room at the hospital for a few minutes and exchanged some notes, sources in the Congress said.
Lashing out at Rahul Gandhi, BJP President Amit Shah said in Kolar: “During UPA, Rahul Gandhi had torn the ordinance which could save now fodder scam convict Lalu Yadav. As 2019 is approaching it seems Congress can't win without Lalu ji's support, and today he (Rahul Gandhi) met Lalu ji (in AIIMS).”
10. Tejashwi Yadav says decision to discharge him taken in haste: Lalu's son and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav said that the AIIMS took the decision in haste.
"AIIMS is much better and I wonder why this decision has been taken. Only AIIMS authorities can reveal the reason behind the sudden transfer of Laluji," he told media.
RJD MP alleged conspiracy to murder: Lalu Prasad’s party MP Jai Prakash Narayan Yadav alleged that the AIIMS appeared to be acting under the pressure of central agencies like the CBI.
"It seems there is a conspiracy to murder him. Why they are discharging him when he is not fit yet," Yadav said.