M J Akbar | File
Former union minister M J Akbar on Saturday reiterated before a Delhi court that the allegations of sexual misconduct made by journalist Priya Ramani against him were "fabricated and false".
Akbar made the submission before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Ravindra Kumar through senior advocate Geeta Luthra during the final hearing in a criminal complaint filed by him against Ramani for allegedly defaming him by accusing him of sexual misconduct decades ago.
Ramani had made the allegation of sexual misconduct against Akbar in 2018 during the #MeToo movement.
Luthra said that Ramani removing the tweet when the matter was sub-judice was (in) bad faith.
You (Ramani) can't make allegations on social media without any care and caution or responsibility after 20-30 years, she said.
She added that after first saying that Akbar didn't do anything, you call him media's biggest predator.
Luthra argued that Ramani had raised contradictory defence.
You didn't feel the requirement of evidence of landline record, hotel, petrol receipt, CCTV. It (Ramani's claim of Akbar's sexual misconduct in a hotel) is complete hearsay, fabricated and false, Luthra said
She said that Nilofer, Ramani's friend and a key witness in the case, was not an eyewitness.
The court will further hear the matteron January 27.
Akbar had filed the criminal defamation complaint against Ramani on October 15, 2018. He resigned as union minister on October 17, 2018.
Akbar had earlier told the court that Ramani had defamed him by calling him with adjectives such as "media's biggest predator" that harmed his reputation.
He has denied all the allegations of sexual harassment he faced from the women who came forward during the #MeToo campaign.
Over 20 women came up with accounts of the alleged sexual harassment by Akbar while they were working as journalists under him.
He termed the allegations false, fabricated and deeply distressing and said he was taking appropriate legal action against them.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.