In the letter, Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla said that the state government’s decision to increase the seating capacity of cinemas from 50 to 100 per cent amounted to dilution of an MHA order dated December 28, 2020.
The letter added pointed out that the ministry's guidelines demand strict adherence from governments in states and Union Territories. It also said that the Supreme Court
had issued directions to state governments to strictly enforce the guidelines and standard operating procedures issued by the Union government, including compliance of Covid-19 related norms such as wearing of masks and maintaining social distance, and stern action against offenders.
The home secretary has asked the Tamil Nadu
government to immediately issue an order bringing the latter’s guidelines in line with those of the MHA.
Tamil Nadu's decision on Monday to remove the 50 per cent cap on theatre occupancy has drawn flak from various sections. The state government had defended the decision citing that Covid-19 infections were coming down in Tamil Nadu. However, new clusters of coronavirus
cases — including star hotels and the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras — continue to emerge.
Its decision came days after a meeting between actor Vijay and Chief Minister K Palaniswami.
It was reported that the popular actor requested the chief minister to allow 100 per cent occupancy in theatres.
Vijay’s movie, Master, is set to be released during Pongal. A number of big-ticket movies are slated for release during the harvest festival in the middle of this month.
In the last 24 hours, Tamil Nadu reported 811 new Covid-19 cases, of which 228 were from Chennai.
Across the state 63,268 people were tested on Wednesday, while 943 patients were discharged and 11 people died. The total number of Covid-19 cases stands at 823,181 with 12,188 deaths. As many as 803,328 people have recovered so far.