A 68-year-old woman in Delhi became the country’s second victim of coronavirus
on Friday as several states went into battle mode to contain the spread of COVID-19.
The number of positive cases in the country includes the woman and a 76-year-old man from Karnataka who became the country’s first coronavirus
fatality, Health Ministry officials said.
Health ministry and Delhi government officials said the woman came in contact with her son, the fifth case of coronavirus
in the national
capital, with a history travel history to Switzerland and Italy between February 5 and 22. Her death was caused due to co-morbidity (diabetes and hypertension), they said, adding she had tested positive for COVID-19.
She was admitted in Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, officials said. Cases of the infection have been reported from at least 11 states and Union Territories, including Delhi, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Kerala, where three patients were discharged last month after they recovered.
The Centre has decided to allow international traffic only through 19 border checkposts out of 37 and continue the suspension of Indo-Bangladesh cross border passenger trains and buses till April 15, or earlier, if so decided.
Officials disclosed that 42,000 people across the country are under community surveillance.