This was the first time in 45 years that firearms were discharged on the LAC. The last incident was in October 1975, when the Chinese ambushed and killed four jawans of the Assam Rifles on the LAC near Tawang.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Indian Army
said: “It was the PLA troops who were attempting to close-in with one of our forward positions along the LAC and when dissuaded by own troops, PLA troops fired a few rounds in the air in an attempt to intimidate own troops.”
A diametrically opposite version of events had been presented by the PLA, when its Western Theatre Command spokesperson, Colonel Zhang Shuili, accused the Indian Army
of “illegally crossing the line (LAC) again” in Ladakh.
“During the operation, the Indian Army
blatantly fired threats (sic) to the patrol personnel of the Chinese border guards who had made representations. The Chinese border guards were forced to take countermeasures to stabilise the situation on the ground,” said the Chinese spokesperson.
Terming this a “serious provocation of a very bad nature”, he stated: “We request the Indian side to immediately stop dangerous actions, withdraw soldiers who had crossed the LAC, strictly restrain frontline troops and strictly investigate and punish personnel who fired shots so that similar incidents do not occur again.”
Emphatically rejecting these accusations, the Indian Army stated: “At no stage has the Indian Army transgressed across the LAC or resorted to use of any aggressive means, including firing… It is the PLA that has been blatantly violating agreements and carrying out aggressive manoeuvres.”
“The statement by the Western Theatre Command is an attempt to mislead their domestic and international audience,” stated the Indian Army.
Sounding a clear warning, it went on: “The Indian Army is committed to maintaining peace and tranquillity. [However it] is also determined to protect national integrity and sovereignty at all costs.”
The confrontation took place just three days after the Indian and Chinese defence
ministers, Rajnath Singh and General Wei Fenghe, met in Moscow on Friday; a couple of days before the two foreign ministers, S Jaishankar and Wang Yi, are due to meet in Moscow; and even as brigade commanders from both sides are holding regular meetings at Chushul-Moldo.
This indicates how volatile the ground situation is, says a retired Indian general who has commanded in the Ladakh sector.
“Even apex level political engagement is insufficient to prevent violence breaking out,” he adds. “When soldiers are deployed face-to-face, the ground situation can escalate at any time.”
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.