The spokesperson said they have been assessing the lists of the Taliban prisoners to ensure the released fighters would not return to the war, after the Taliban failed to agree to that condition.
"So far no development has been made in this regard from the Taliban side, so far they have shown no commitment to peace, neither in action nor in talks," Faisal said.
"We release these persons to promote peace, not so that they can return to the war," he added.
But the Taliban have insisted that they will not enter the intra-Afghan talks until the 5,000 prisoners were released, as was agreed in the peace deal brokered by the US and signed in Doha on February 29.
"To delay the releasing process of the prisoners is an action against the agreement and shows that (Afghan government) is intentionally delaying the intra-Afghan negotiations," Suhail Shaheen, Taliban political Office Spokesman in Qatar told Efe news.
On March 11, President Ghani had issued a decree according to which 5,000 Taliban prisoners would be released in groups of 100, a process that was due to begin on Saturday.
According to the decree, only 1,500 Taliban prisoners would be initially released as a gesture of goodwill, with the remaining 3,500 to be released over the following two weeks, but only if there is a significant reduction of violence.
The proposal was immediately rejected by the militants, who pointed out that the deal stipulates the release of all of the prisoners before any talks can start.
The Doha deal hinges on several factors, including the total withdrawal of foreign troops within 14 months and an agreement on the part of the Taliban not to use Afghan territory to launch attacks in other countries, as well as the participation of the militants in peace talks with the Afghan government and the release of prisoners.
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.