Ahead of 2+2 meet, Trump accuses India of levying 100% tariff on US imports

Ahead of next week's maiden 2+2 dialogue with India, US President Donald Trump on Tuesday accused New Delhi of charging as high as 100 per cent tariff on import of American products.

 

"We have countries where, as an example, India, they charge up as much as 100 per cent tariff. We want the tariffs removed,"  Trump said.

He was responding to a question in his recent decisions to impose tariffs on import of foreign products. Trump has defended it by arguing that this is in retaliation to the imbalance of trade that the US has with major trading partners including China, the European Union and India.

India and the US will hold their first 2+2 dialogue on July 6. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will be in the US for talks with their American counterparts Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis.

"What I would like to do and what I offered at the G7, you remember, I said let's drop all tariffs and all barriers," he said.

"Is everybody OK with that? And nobody said yes. I said wait a minute folks, you're complaining. No tariffs and no barriers, you're on your own, let's do it. And it was like they couldn't leave the room fast enough, he said recollecting his conversation with G-7 leaders in Canada recently.

"Other countries are negotiating (with US). Without tariffs, you could never do that. If they don't want to negotiate, then we'll do the tariffs," Trump told reporters at the White House.

"Just remember, we're the bank. We're the bank that everybody wants to steal from and plunder and can't be that way anymore. We lost $500 billion last year with China. We lost $151 billion with the European Union, which puts up great barriers so that our farmers can't trade.

"We can't send farm products in for the most part. It's very hard to send cars in," he said.


Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel