Betters see 70% chance of a Hillary Clinton win, Donald Trump trails at 30%

Republican US presidential nominee Donald Trump shakes hands with his Democratic counterpart Hillary Clinton. (Photo: Reuters)
Democrat nominee and former secretary of state Hillary Clinton is the favourite in the betting world for the US President's post with 70 per cent winning prospects, while Republican candidate Donald Trump is trailing far behind with a mere 30 per cent chances to win the US presidential election slated for November 8. As on date, if you bet Re 1 on Hillary after she emerges as the winner the punter will gain 70 paise. However, in case of Trump winning the punter will get Rs 1.30.

Sources tracking the betting told Business Standard, "Betting is currently underway across the world, especially in the US and European countries, while it will be insignificant in India. As far as India is concerned, large businesses will have a major play. Hillary is clearly the favourite."

A source from Nagpur, which is one of the leading centres in the betting world, said that in the US election there are only two options, victory or defeat,  and not an option of draw which is there in the cricket world. "India's contribution in the betting for the US President will be as low as five per cent, while 95 per cent will be by punters from other countries," the source notes.

However, the source explained that the betting rate may change two days ahead of polling as both Clinton and Trump are stepping up attacks against each other. "It won't be possible as on date to estimate the betting turnover globally but it will run into billions of dollar," the source noted.

Another source from Delhi said Clinton is being favoured as there will be continuity in the US policies with India. Besides, she has been in public life for over three decades. The fresh enquiry by the Federal Bureau of Investigation into Hillary's mails might impact her prospects but it might not stop her from winning the election.

On the other hand, Trump has courted several controversies due to his statements. He initially declared a total and complete shutdown on Muslims entering the United States but later backed down. Then, Trump refused to commit to accepting the result of the presidential election in the final debate with his opponent Hillary Clinton. 



Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel