5G will be transformative for our country, but only if we have confidence in the security and resilience of the infrastructure it is built upon, said Oliver Dowden, UK Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).
Following US sanctions against Huawei
and updated technical advice from our cyber experts, the government has decided it necessary to ban Huawei from our 5G networks. No new kit is to be added from January 2021, and UK 5G networks will be Huawei free by the end of 2027. This decisive move provides the industry with the clarity and certainty it needs to get on with delivering 5G across the UK, he said.
The minister, who laid out the details of the UK's ban on Huawei in the House of Commons, said the government will now seek to legislate with a new Telecoms Security Bill to put in place the powers necessary to implement the tough new telecoms security framework.
By the time of the next election (2024) we will have implemented in law an irreversible path for the complete removal of Huawei equipment from our 5G networks, said Dowden.
The new law will give the government the national security powers to impose these new controls on high risk vendors and create extensive security duties on network operators to drive up standards, DCMS said.
Technical experts at the NCSC reviewed the consequences of the US sanctions and concluded that Huawei will need to do a major reconfiguration of its supply chain as it will no longer have access to the technology on which it currently relies and there are no alternatives which we have sufficient confidence in.
They found the new restrictions make it impossible to continue to guarantee the security of Huawei equipment in the future.
After a ban on the purchase of new Huawei kit for 5G from next year, the aim is to completely remove the Chinese vendor's influence on 5G networks across the UK by the end of 2027.
The DCMS said Tuesday's decision takes into account the UK's specific national circumstances and how the risks from these sanctions are manifested in the country.
The existing restrictions on Huawei in sensitive and critical parts of the network remain in place, it highlighted.
The DCMS said the US action also affects Huawei products used in the UK's full fibre broadband networks. However, the UK has managed Huawei's presence in the UK's fixed access networks since 2005 and we also need to avoid a situation where broadband operators are reliant on a single supplier for their equipment.
As a result, following security advice from experts, DCMS is advising full fibre operators to transition away from purchasing new Huawei equipment. A technical consultation will determine the transition timetable, but it expects this period to last no longer than two years.
The government said its new approach strikes the right balance by recognising full fibre's established presence and supporting the connections that the public relies on, while fully addressing the security concerns.
It stressed that its new policy in relation to high risk vendors has not been designed around one company, one country or one threat but as an enduring and flexible policy that will enable the UK to manage the risks to the network, now and in the future.
John Browne steps down as chairman of Huawei’s UK ops
John Browne will step down ahead of schedule as chairman of the UK board of directors of Huawei Tech as Britain excludes the firm from its next-generation telecommunication networks. Browne, formerly CEO at BP Plc, will step down in September instead of March, a spokesman for Huawei said on Tuesday. Bloomberg
Huawei reports 13.1% revenue growth amid pandemic, sanctions
Huawei reported on Tuesday that its revenue grew 13.1 per cent in the first half of the year, compared with a year earlier, despite sanctions from the US and challenges from the pandemic. Revenue rose to 454 billion yuan ($64.9 billion) in January-June, compared to 401.3 billion yuan during the same period last year. The firm said its profit margin was 9.2 per cent, compared to 8.7 per cent last year. AP/PTI