The National Counter Terrorism Authority issued a security alert during the week, warning that it received credible information that opposition rallies in Quetta and Peshawar could be targeted by militants.
Balochistan government's spokesperson Liaquat Ali Shahwani told the media on Friday that due to threat alert, the opposition parties should postpone the rally. Earlier, the provincial government banned pillion riding in Quetta.
However, PDM leaders rejected the call and announced that the Quetta rally would go ahead.
PDM president Maulana Fazlur Rehman, who is also chief of Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F), said that the provincial government should pack up and go home if it was unable to maintain law and order.
It is the responsibility of the Balochistan government to provide complete security to the public meeting in the province, he said.
Similar sentiments were expressed by Maryam Nawaz, leader of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and daughter of former premier Nawaz Sharif.
If something happens, the provincial government will be responsible for it, she said.
Sharif is expected to address the Quetta gathering via video-link from London.
The former prime minister had criticised Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa during the rally in Gujranwala.
Sharif has been in London since November last year after the Lahore High Court granted him permission to go abroad for four weeks for treating the heart disease and an immune system disorder.
The Pakistan military has repeatedly denied meddling in politics. Khan also denies the army helped him win the election.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.