The statement comes amid Iran's growing impatience over the future of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
Pompeo's threat comes a day after the Islamic Republic warned that it might withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
According to Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, Tehran's decision on whether to leave or stay in the deal will depend entirely on the outcome of negotiations with the remaining signatories.
In May, Pompeo said that the US will "crush" Iran with military pressure and by imposing sanctions till the time it changes its behaviour in the Middle East.
Pompeo also said the US will monitor Tehran's regional activities, restrict its influence in the Middle East and ensure that it never acquires a nuclear weapon.
United States President Donald Trump had also warned of severe consequences if Iran resumes its nuclear program.
On May 8, Trump announced Washington's withdrawal from the JCPOA or the Iran nuclear deal which limited the country's uranium enrichment in exchange for sanctions relief.
After pulling out of the deal, Trump called the accord as an "embarrassment" that was "defective at its core".
The Iran nuclear deal was signed between six countries in 2015 - Iran, the US, Britain, Germany, Russia, France and China for lifting economic sanctions on Tehran in exchange for limitations to the country's nuclear programme.
Other world powers have vowed to uphold the landmark deal. The deal places restrictions on Iran's nuclear programme.
Iran had earlier said it would move out of the deal and resume its nuclear activities if the other parties to the nuclear deal fail to safeguard Iran's interests.
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.