Saudi Arabia intercepts ballistic missile from Yemen: Coalition

Saudi Arabia intercepted a ballistic missile that Yemeni rebels fired towards the kingdom's southern city of Abha, early on Monday, the Riyadh-led coalition fighting the insurgents said.

"It was intercepted with no injuries," the coalition said in a statement, adding that the missile launcher was destroyed by Saudi air defences.

It was at least the fourth ballistic missile launched across the border since UN-brokered peace talks began in Kuwait, in April between Yemen's Houthi rebels and the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

Fighting has continued despite a formal ceasefire in conjunction with the peace talks.

The Houthis, which Saudi Arabia says are backed by Iran, are allied with elite troops loyal to Yemen's former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

They overran Yemen's capital Sanaa in 2014 before moving into other parts of the country, prompting the coalition to intervene with air strikes and other support in March last year.

Saudi Arabia has deployed Patriot missile batteries to counter tactical ballistic missiles, which have been fired occasionally during the war.

The UN special envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, said on Wednesday that the warring parties were taking a two-week break from the peace talks which have made little headway.

The UN says more than 6,400 people have been killed in Yemen since March last year, most of them civilians.

Fighting has driven 2.8 million people from their homes and left more than 80% of the population needing humanitarian aid.

On the Saudi side of the frontier, dozens of civilians and soldiers died in skirmishes and artillery barrages earlier in the war.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel