US flies bombers to Middle East amid concerns of possible Iran retaliation

File photo

Amid concerns of possible Iranian retaliation, the US on Wednesday flew a pair of B-52H over the Persian Gulf, according to US Central Command (CENTCOM).

The two Air Force "Stratofortresses" flew from Minot Air Force Base, N.D., to deliver "a clear deterrent message to anyone who intends to do harm to Americans or American interests," the command said in a statement.

According to the statement, this mission is the third bomber deployment into CENTCOM's area of operation in the last 45 days.

"The United States continues to deploy combat-ready capabilities into the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility to deter any potential adversary, and make clear that we are ready and able to respond to any aggression directed at Americans or our interests," Centcom head General Frank McKenzie, said in the statement.

The deployment reflects growing concerns in Washington that Iran might retaliate against the United States as the first anniversary (January 3) of the US assassination of Iranian top military commander Qassem Soleimani approaches, reported The Hill.

Earlier this month, Pentagon had flown a similar mission over the Middle-east and temporarily withdrew some staff from its embassy in Baghdad after a rocket attack in the Green Zone of Iraq's capital Baghdad on December 20.

US President Donald Trump had blamed the attack on Iran. "Some friendly health advice to Iran: If one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over," twitted Trump. Meanwhile, Tehran had denied Trump's allegation.


(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel