US won't accept new pleas for plan that shields immigrants from deportation

Last month, the US Supreme Court blocked the Trump administration's efforts to rescind DACA, arguing that the move did not comply with the Administrative Procedure Act and failed to provide adequate justification.

The Donald Trump administration said on Tuesday it was reviewing the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) programme and will reject new applications.

"The administration is now undertaking a comprehensive review of the DACA programme and the justifications that have been offered for winding DACA down," a senior administration official said, Xinhua reported.

The official said they will adjudicate all applications for renewal on a case-by-case basis, providing one year, rather than the existing two-year renewal.

 

Last month, the US Supreme Court blocked the Trump administration's efforts to rescind DACA, arguing that the move did not comply with the Administrative Procedure Act and failed to provide adequate justification.

However, it also made clear that President Donald Trump had the authority to rescind the program.

DACA, created via an administrative memo in 2012 by the previous Barack Obama administration, previously allowed undocumented immigrants brought to the United States when they were children to receive a renewable two-year deferral from deportation and has made applicants eligible for work permits, driver's licenses, and health insurance.

Recipients of DACA, estimated to be about 700,000, are commonly called "Dreamers."

In a statement on Tuesday, Andrea Flores, deputy director of immigration policy for the American Civil Liberties Union, called the Trump administration's new directive on DACA "another step today toward his ultimate goal of destroying the lives of Dreamers."

Trump, who has made the abolishment of the programme a key part of his hardline immigration policy, first announced intentions to rescind DACA in September 2017.

 



Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel