The leader of a white supremacist group on Thursday claimed that Nikolas Cruz, the Florida school shooting suspect, was a member of his group and had participated in paramilitary drills.
Jordan Jereb, the leader of a group called the Republic of Florida, said that he didn't know the 19-year-old suspect personally and that "he acted on his own behalf of what he just did and he's solely responsible for what he just did," the local media reported.
17 people died on Wednesday when Cruz, who was a former student of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and was expelled from the school for disciplinary reasons, opened fire.
Cruz was booked on 17 counts of premeditated murder on Thursday.
Students who had been at school with Cruz said many classmates had predicted he could "do something" to harm them and that he had previously brought guns to school, The Guardian reported.
Florida governor Rick Scott vowed new measures on access to guns for people with a history of mental illness.
"The violence has to stop. We cannot lose another child in this country to violence in a school," The Guardian quoted him as saying.
United States President Donald Trump too focused on the young man's mental health.
"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!," Trump wrote on Twitter.
The President is also planning to meet with the families of the students and teachers who were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School yesterday.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.