Malegaon blast: Will now fight against UAPA charges, says Purohit's wife

Aparna Purohit, wife of Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit, on Wednesday expressed happiness after the charges of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) was dropped against her husband, an accused in 2008 Malegaon blast case and said that she will continue to fight against other charges.

"Dropping of MCOCA charges is a big relief and we will fight the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) charges. This verdict has just proved that the charges framed against him are all false," elated Aparna told ANI.

Earlier in the day, the MCOCA charges against Purohit, Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, Ramesh Upadhyay and Ajay Rahikar in connection with 2008 Malegaon blast case was dropped by a special National Investigative Agency (NIA) Court.

The charges under section 17, 20 and 13 of the UAPA and Arms Act were also dropped against the accused.

However, Thakur and Purohit will be tried under sections 120 B, 302, 307, 304, 326, 427 and 153 A of Indian Penal Code (IPC), along with section 18 (conspiracy) of UAPA.

All accused are already out on bail.

The court, however, maintained that previous bonds and sureties will continue against the accused.

The next date of hearing is scheduled on January 15 in the special NIA court in Mumbai.

On September 29, 2008, six people were killed and 101 people injured after a bomb tied to a motorcycle exploded in Nashik's Malegaon town.

In November 2008, the Anti-Terrorism Squad arrested 11 people in this connection.

However, in April 2011, the investigation was transferred to the NIA.


(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel