UN condemns Houthi missile attack on Saudi

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has strongly condemned the missile attack by Iran-backed Al Houthi militants in Yemen against Saudi Arabia.

A statement issued by all the 15 council members of UNSC "also expressed alarm at the stated intention of Al Houthis to continue these attacks against Saudi Arabia, as well as to launch additional attacks against other states in the region", Gulf News reported.

When Saudi Arabia was fighting against the Yemeni militants, it had said that a missile was being intercepted over Riyadh on Tuesday.

On December 19, Al Houthis fired a ballistic missile targeting the Yamama Palace in Riyadh, where the king presides at weekly government meetings and receives foreign leaders.

Saudi Arabia has said that a missile had been intercepted over the Saudi Arabian capital.

The UNSC has called for the implementation of an arms embargo on Al Houthis and called on parties in Yemen to start negotiating a political settlement soon.

This also comes days after, the Saudi-led coalition forces were killed in airstrikes, killing around 136 civilians.

The UN has expressed concerns over the intensified airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition.


(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel