16 UP policemen booked for staged shootout

A case was filed against 16 policemen in Uttar Pradesh's Sitapur district on Monday following directives of a local court in a staged shootout case.

A victim of the staged shootout had petitioned the Additional District Judge (ADJ Vth) alleging that the police tried to kill him in an encounter on January 30.

The court on February 24 directed the police to lodge a case against the 16 policemen, including Inspector Ranjana Sachan.

Following the directive, Superintendent of Police (SP) Anand Kulkrani had directed filing of a case against the errant police personnel. The court had given a week's time for the case to be filed.

Circle Officer Javed Khan informed that a case had been lodged against the police personnel and now, as per the law, action would be taken against them.

In more than 1,200 shootouts in the last few months, the Uttar Pradesh Police has killed 44 wanted criminals.

Despite hue and cry created by human right groups and some media reports that "some innocent have been killed in these encounters (staged shootouts)", the state government has defended its proactive actions against criminals.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has many times publicly encouraged the police and said that there was no place for criminals in the state and that they should either "flee the state or be prepared to be bumped off in encounters".

Deputy CM Keshav Prasad Maurya has justified the encounters and said while police does not want to kill criminals they cannot be faulted in firing back at gun-wielding criminals out to attack them.

Director General of Police (DGP) O.P. Singh has also categorically said in the past that encounters will continue as police cannot be "lame duck targets" for criminals to attack.

"We will hit back with bullets if attacked," Singh has been often quoted as saying.

--IANS

md/qd/dg


(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel