Spain's Garbiñe Muguruza remained in seventh, while her compatriot Carla Suarez Navarro dropped one spot to world No. 27, trading places with Serena.
Further down the rankings, Qiang Wang of China jumped 25 spots to world No.53 after winning the Jiangxi International Women's Tennis Open on Sunday.
Serbian 17-year-old Olga Danilovic moved up 75 places to world No. 112, thanks to her first-ever WTA singles title at the Moscow River Cup on Sunday, where she defeated Russia's Anastasia Potapova, also aged 17.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Simona Halep (Romania) 7,571 points
2. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 6,660
3. Sloane Stephens (US) 5,463
4. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 5,305
5. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 5,020
6. Caroline Garcia (France) 4,680
7. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 4,620
8. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 4,550
9. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 4,485
10. Julia Goerges (Germany) 3,980.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)