Despite being a Sunday, income tax offices are open today to facilitate the filing of tax returns by the taxpayers.
Taxpayers can use the I-T department's online portal to file their returns from the comfort of their home.
Before you sit down to file your income tax returns, here are some important documents that you need to keep handy with you:
1. PAN card, valid email account, valid mobile number, Aadhaar number
2. Form 16/16A: These forms will help you provide proof of tax deduction on the payments you have made.
3. Investment proof: Proof of tax-saving investments made, medical cover taken, donations made, etc, are all required for helping you claim deductions under Section 80C, 80D and 80G respectively.
You can follow these steps to file your returns through I-T department's official website:
Bank details: Even if you know that you don’t have a refund this year, you should provide all your bank account details along with the IFSC code in your income-tax return.
Is it mandatory to file I-T return?
Filing income tax return is mandatory for -
1. Individuals and HUFs having income more than Rs 2.5 lakh (Rs 3 lakh for senior citizens aged 60-80 years and Rs 5 lakh for those above 80)
2. All companies, firms, LLPs
3. Trusts, associations, political parties (whose income prior to the claim of exemptions exceed the minimum chargeable to tax)