18 declared foreigners released on bail following SC order

Eighteen people who were declared foreigners over three years ago were released on bail from a detention camp in Goalpara district of Assam, a police official said here on Thursday.

Their release followed a Supreme Court order in July that people who were declared foreigners by Foreigners' Tribunals and are in detention camps for three years or more would be freed on bail.

These 18 people - eight from Barpeta, six from Bongaigaon, two from Chirang and one each from South Salmara and Kokrajhar districts - were released on bail by the Foreigners' Tribunal, the official said.

They were allowed to go on a surety bond of Rs two lakh each from Indian citizens, and after providing biometric details, following the instruction of the Supreme Court.

The official said the 18 persons would have to report to the nearest police station in case they change their given residential address.

Earlier on August 26, days before the publication of the updated final NRC on August 31, 10 declared foreigners, were released on bail from the Goalpara Detention Camp.

Assam has six detention centres inside district jails in Goalpara, Kokrajhar, Tezpur, Dibrugarh, Jorhat and Silchar to house people declared foreigners by Foreigners Tribunals.


(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel