18 of 43 McDonald's outlets reopened in Delhi, confirms Vikram Bakshi

Vikram Bakshi
McDonald's estranged partner Vikram Bakshi said 18 out of the 43 outlets of the burger chain in the capital that have been closed since June due to expiry of eating house licences, reopened today.

The development follows a decision by the board of Connaught Plaza Restaurants Ltd (CPRL), which passed a resolution on September 17 to reopen 21 outlets for which health licences have since been received, Bakshi said in a statement today.

He further said: "18 restaurants in Delhi have reopened today."

This decision has been taken by the board of CPRL, chaired by NCLT appointed administrator Justice G S Singhvi, in the best interest of employees, vendors, landlords and all stakeholders, he added.

When contacted, McDonald's India said: "Consequent on the termination of the franchise agreements of 169 McDonald's restaurants operated by CPRL in the North and East of India, effective September 6, CPRL is required to cease using the McDonald's System and is no longer authorised to operate McDonald's restaurants."

The company further said: "We will continue to take steps to exercise our legal and contractual rights."

In June, 43 outlets operated by CPRL were closed after the expiry of eating house licence.

Bakshi and McDonald's India have been fighting it out at courts over the termination of franchise licence by the US-based fast food chain last month.

The fate of 169 outlets run by CPRL in the north and east India became uncertain after the expiry of notice of termination of licence earlier this month.

While Bakshi is contesting at NCLAT here, the fast food major had approached the London Court of Arbitration, which last week asked Bakshi to sell his stake in the 50:50 joint venture, CPRL, to McDonald's India.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel