As many as 2.93 lakh ration card holders did not turn up to receive rations for three months and none of them filed any complained to the government since the introduction of biometric-linked system for foodgrain distribution, the Delhi Food and Civil Supplies Department said.
It said that 99.4 per cent of the beneficiaries of the food security scheme had taken their ration after biometric authentication through the e-point of sale (e-POS) system was introduced on January 1.
"Around 2.93 lakhs ration card holders did not turn up for taking ration consecutively for January, February and March," a statement from the department said, adding the new e-PoS system has created space for new beneficiaries.
The department has carried out a drive to check the details of those who had not taken ration for three consecutive months, on orders of the Central government.
So far, about 55,000 notices have been issued, the department said.
Due verification of these beneficiaries is required to avoid reentry of ineligible beneficiaries in the system, which can cause loss to the state exchequer and the genuine beneficiaries.
Food and Civil Supplies Minister Imran Hussain had on Sunday written to Food and Civil Supplies Commissioner Mohanjeet Singh, asking him to restore the ration of those who had not availed of ration for three consecutive months.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)