The BJP also suspended its state executive council member Kheto Semaparty, who had signed the joint declaration.
Representatives of 11 political parties, including the ruling Naga People's Front, its ally BJP and the Congress yesterday signed the declaration not to contest the February 27 assembly elections, agreeing to the demand of tribal bodies and civil society groups that the protracted Naga political problem be resolved first.
The Nationalist Democratic Peoples' Party, Nagaland Congress, United Nagaland Democratic Party, Aam Admi Party, National Congress Party, Lok Janshakti Party, Janata Dal (United) and National People's Party were the other parties who signed the joint declaration.
State BJP chief Visasolie Lhoungu told PTI in Kohima that he had asked Kheto to attend yesterday's meeting but had not authorised him to sign the joint declaration.
"We had authorised two party leaders to attend the meeting but had also said that if there is anything regarding the elections, the party's national leaders should be consulted," he said.
"Since Kheto had signed the documents without any consultation with the central leaders, he has been put under suspension," Lhoungu said.
He, however, said the BJP favours an early settlement to the Naga political problem but the Assembly election is a different issue and the state unit of the party is awaiting directions from the central leadership in this regard.
Asked if the BJP accepts the common call for 'solution not election', Lhoungu said, "The final decision on the matter will be taken only after BJP central leaders hold discussions with the core committee of Naga tribal organisations and also the Naga nationalist political groups."
The discussions will take place soon and the filing of nominations will depend on the outcome of the meeting, he said.
Rijiju, who put out a series of tweets, said the Centre attaches utmost importance to the long pending Naga issue.
"Holding of timely election is a constitutional process. The central government is bound by the Constitution," he said.
Rijiju said the Centre fully understands the sentiments expressed by the Core Committee of the Nagaland Tribal Hohos and Civil Organisations (CCNTHCO) but "election boycott is not the solution".
"Let's have faith in Prime Minister Narendra Modi ji's commitment. Govt of India attaches utmost importance to the long pending Naga issue. We believe that peaceful election in Nagaland will facilitate the ongoing peace talks and strengthen our commitment," he said.
The Core Committee has also called for a total shutdown on February 1, when filing of nomination begins.
The Naga Hoho, an apex Naga tribal body, earlier this month sought the prime minister's intervention for postponing the elections, saying the vexed issue should be resolved first.
Civil society groups in Nagaland have also launched a campaign 'Solution before Election'.
Expectations for lasting peace soared in Nagaland, which had been hit by insurgency for decades, after the Centre and the NSCN-IM signed a framework agreement in 2015.
The NSCN-IM has been engaged in peace talks with the interlocutor of the central government since 1997, when it announced a ceasefire agreement after a bloody insurgency movement which started in Nagaland soon after the country's independence.
During a visit to the state in November 2017, President Ram Nath Kovind had said the state was at the threshold of making history as a final agreement on the Naga political issue would soon be arrived at and lasting peace achieved.
Rijiju along with BJP national secretary in-charge of North East Ram Madhav, who were in Kohima yesterday, held discussions on pre-poll alliance as well as seat sharing for the ensuing elections, state party sources said.
The BJP's media cell convener K James Vizo confirmed that the two leaders were here to discuss the status of pre-poll alliance and also seat sharing for the elections.
Vizo said Rijiju and Madhav held meeting with Chief Minister T R Zeliang and NPF president Shurhozelie Liezietsu over pre-poll alliance and also deliberated on seat sharing.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.