13 McDonald's outlets re-open in Delhi-NCR, others to follow soon

Connaught Plaza Restaurants Private Limited (CPRL), that operates McDonald's chain of quick service restaurants in northern and eastern India, Sunday said it has re-opened 13 restaurants in Delhi NCR.

CPRL, which is now wholly owned by McDonald's, after its estranged partner Vikram Bakshi transferred his share in the JV to the US-based firm, had temporarily shut down its 160 stores.

All other restaurants in North and East region would remain closed, but the company plans to re-open them "over the coming days and weeks", McDonald's India said in a statement.

"We are thrilled to have started the re-opening process and look forward to serving our customers a more authentic McDonald's experience at these first 13 locations now open for business in Delhi," said Rob Hunghanfoo, Head of CPRL.

According to the company, customers visiting the 13 re-opened stores will experience an enhanced service experience with more customised hospitality, refreshed menu boards, merchandising and packaging.

"We will continue to work around the clock and plan to gradually re-open more restaurants in the coming days and weeks," Hunghanfoo said.

Earlier on May 6, estranged partners McDonald's and Bakshi had informed NCLAT that they were working towards an out-of-court settlement to end their dispute.

On May 9, they announced an out-of-court settlement with the US fast food chain agreeing to buy Bakshi from their joint venture that operated outlets of the chain in north and east India.

The details of the pact, including financial terms, were not disclosed.


Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel