Explain gross delay in demolishing illegal shrines: HC to Maha

The Bombay High Court today sought an explanation from the Maharashtra government over the "gross delay" in demolishing illegal shrines in the state.

The government had to raze all unauthorised shrines, built after September 29, 2009, by December 2017.

A division bench of Justices A S Oka and M S Sonak was hearing a public interest litigation filed by a city-based NGO, Janhit Manch, seeking action against illegal shrines in the state.

The court had, earlier, directed the government to submit a time-bound schedule for demolition of such shrines.

In response, the state government had issued a government resolution (GR) in November 2015 stating that it had set up committees to find out which shrines needed to be regularised and which had to be demolished.

The government had said it would finish the process of demolition by August 2016.

It later sought extension till December 2017 to comply with the order. The same was granted by HC.

The government, earlier this month, filed a fresh application seeking extension of the December 2017 deadline.

The high court, however, got irked and said it was not inclined to grant an extension.

"Explain to us the reasons behind the gross delay in demolishing all the illegal shrines within the prescribed time limit. We want the government to file an affidavit on this," Justice Oka said.

The court said that if it was not satisfied with the government's reasons, then it would initiate contempt action against the concerned officers.

The court has posted the matter for further hearing after two weeks.


(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel