Hong Kong teens charged with murder over protest death

Hong Kong police charged on Wednesday two teenagers with murder over the death of an elderly man in a clash between rival protesters during the city's political unrest last year.

Luo Chang-qing died in November when pro-democracy supporters and government loyalists started hurling bricks at each other in the border town of Sheung Shui.

The fight was one of dozens that broke out between ideological opponents during the seven straight months of pro-democracy protests that upended the city.

Luo, 70, died from a blow to the head.

Local media reported at the time that he had been filming a fight between the two sides on his mobile phone.

On Wednesday police said they had charged two boys, aged 16 and 17, for his murder.

"The two were jointly charged with murder, wounding with intent and rioting," a police spokesman told reporters.

Even though they are minors, the teens face up to life in prison if convicted.

Hong Kong's protests were sparked by an attempt to allow extradition to China's opaque justice system but soon morphed into a popular revolt against Beijing's rule.

Millions of people took to the streets to protest for greater democratic rights and the demonstrations had often ended with violent clashes between protesters and police.

Fights often broke out between protesters and groups of government loyalists, with beatings and street brawls common.

More than 7,800 people have been arrested -- nearly 40 percent of them were students.


(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel