HP Transport Minister should have resigned after Kullu Bus Accident: Congress

Himachal Pradesh Congress president Kuldeep Singh Rathore said State Transport Minister Govind Thakur should have resigned in the wake of the Kullu bus tragedy in which 45 persons were killed and 33 injured.

Speaking to mediapersons here Monday, Rathore said, "I have been told by the injured and other eye witnesses during my visit to Mandi and Kullu on Saturday that the conditions of the road and the bus were very bad."

Besides the bus was overloaded and around 80 passengers were travelling in it though it had a capacity of 42 seats, he added.

Instead of conducting a fair magisterial inquiry, the transport minister gave a clean chit to the private bus owner, Rathore said.

The Congress leader alleged Thakur was trying to shield the bus operator, saying the bus driver, conductor and the police could be faulted but the bus owner could not be held responsible for overloading.

The Jai Ram Thakur-led BJP government had not made public the inquiry report and action taken report in the Nurpur bus accident in April last year in which 30 persons, including 27 school children, were killed, he said.

Rathore said the number of buses running on the busy routes in the villages should be increased to stop overloading.

Already 300 spare buses are lying with the transport department and more could be purchased, he added.

The state Congress president said no crash barrier had been installed at the Banjar bus accident site in Kullu district.

Crash barriers should be installed at all black spots identified by the state government without any further delay and the condition of the roads should be improved, he added.

He said the grievously injured in the Kullu accident should have been sent to PGI Chandigarh via helicopters instead of by roadways to save their lives.

He questioned the facilities at Banjar Civil Hospital, claiming that eyewitnesses told him there was no power in the hospital and treatment was done using mobile lights.

Talking about scab disease in the apple belt of the state, he said the state government should provide fungicide at subsidised rates to apple growers.


(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel