As an international investigation has concluded that the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was hit by a Russian missile bringing it down over eastern Ukraine four years ago, the US today asked Moscow to account for its role in the plane shoot down, in which 298 people were killed.
The Dutch-led Joint Investigation Team (JIT) said the missile launcher used to shoot down Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 originated from the 53rd Anti-aircraft Brigade of the Russian Federation, stationed in Kursk.
The US has complete confidence in the findings of the JIT as presented earlier in the day by the Dutch public prosecutor, State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert said.
"Today's announcement confirms and adds detail to what we have said from the earliest days of this tragedy: MH17 was shot down by a Russian-made BUK surface-to-air missile fired from territory in eastern Ukraine controlled by Russia and Russia-led forces," she said.
Referring to the UN Security Council resolution in this regard which demand that "those responsible be held to account and that all states cooperate fully with efforts to establish accountability," Nauert called upon Russia, in particular, to respect and adhere to UN Security Council resolution.
"It is time for Russia to cease its lies and account for its role in the shoot down," Nauert said. "We remain confident in the ability of the Dutch criminal justice system to prosecute those responsible in a manner that is fair and just," she added.
Extending America's deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the victims, the spokesperson called for justice on behalf of the innocent civilians who lost their lives on that day, on July 17, 2014 .
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.