UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has placed the Saudi-led military coalition supporting Yemen's government on an annual blacklist over the deaths of hundreds of children in air strikes.
Yemen's Shiite Huthi rebels who seized the capital Sana'a in September 2014 were also added to the list of children's rights violators released on Thursday, detailing offences in 14 countries.
"Emerging and escalating crises had a horrific impact on boys and girls," said a statement from the office of the UN envoy for children and armed conflict.
"The situation in Yemen was particularly worrisome with a five-fold increase in the number of children recruited (by armed groups) and six times more children killed and maimed compared to 2014," it said.
The Saudi-led coalition is responsible for 60% of the total 785 children who were killed and 1,168 wounded last year in Yemen, said the report.
The coalition launched its air campaign to push back the Huthis in March 2015, but the rebels still control the capital and many parts of the country.
"In Yemen, owing to the very large number of violations attributed to the two parties, the Huthis/Ansar Allah and the Saudi Arabia-led coalition are listed for killing and maiming and attacks on schools and hospitals," the report said.
Of the 762 verified cases of recruitment of child soldiers, 72% were attributed to the Huthis, 15% to pro-government forces and nine percent to Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, according to the report.
"In several situations of conflict, aerial operations contributed to creating complex environments in which large numbers of children were killed and maimed," said Leila Zerrougui, the UN envoy for children and armed conflict.
"State-allied armed groups and militia have also increasingly been used to fight in support of government forces, in some cases recruiting and using children," she said.
More than 6,400 people have been killed in Yemen since the coalition began its campaign and some 80% of the population is in dire need of humanitarian aid, according to the UN.
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.