Yemen civil war: Warring sides pledge support as truce begins today

Yemen Flag
All sides in Yemen's year-long war pledged to honour a UN-brokered ceasefire which took effect at midnight yesterday, adding to cautious optimism ahead of new talks to reach a lasting peace deal.

Fighting over the past year has killed thousands, displaced 2.4 million, and drawn in Yemen's neighbours.

Read more from our special coverage on "YEMEN"

The chief of staff of forces loyal to President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi confirmed "the ceasefire has taken effect" at 2100 GMT.

General Mohamed Ali al-Makdashi said, "We are going to respect it... Unless the Huthi rebels violate it."

Three earlier attempts at ceasefires collapsed after a Saudi-led coalition in March last year began air strikes to support the Hadi government.

The coalition intervened after Zaidi Shiite Huthis overran the capital Sanaa in September 2014 and later advanced to other regions.

Chaos and misery have ruled the Arabian Peninsula country since, while pressure built for an end to the violence.

The Iran-backed Huthis, along with allied troops loyal to ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh, have sent the United Nations a letter committing to "cease land, sea and air military operations" throughout Yemen, according to a communique carried by the rebel-run Saba news agency.

In a contrast to earlier ceasefire attempts, some Huthi leaders met with loyalist troops on a joint committee to make sure both sides comply with the truce, coalition spokesman Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri said.

"And they will monitor all the personnel on the ground, to not violate the ceasefire," he said, adding the committee is supervised by the coalition which has also pledged to abide by the ceasefire.

"We issued the orders to the forces that they will respect the ceasefire at midnight," Assiri said.

But the Arab alliance said it reserved the right to respond to any rebel violations.

Rights groups have criticised the civilian toll from coalition bombings.

UN special envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed last month announced the ceasefire would occur ahead of April 18 peace talks in Kuwait.

In the lead-up to the truce, rebels and their allies yesterday exchanged mortar and artillery fire with pro-Hadi forces in Sarwah region of Marib province east of Sanaa.

The truce was only agreed by the warring sides after months of shuttle diplomacy by the UN envoy.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Business Standard is now on Telegram.
For insightful reports and views on business, markets, politics and other issues, subscribe to our official Telegram channel
Read More on

INTERNATIONAL

OTHERS


Most Read

Markets

Companies

Opinion

Latest News

Todays Paper

News you can use