3. Connect the first basketball made, the first official baseball, the first American football and the world’s first basketball that was created and what do you arrive at?
3. The brand Spalding. Albert Goodwill Spalding, who set up the sports firm in Kentucky, was responsible for all
4. Who had these four classes of employees: Senior merchants, junior merchants, factors and writers?
4. The East India Company
5. Which industry uses these terms: Flush and Killing the Green? Also explain what they mean.
5. Tea industry. Flush is the plucking season and generally the first flush (February-May). Killing the green is heating process deactivate enzymes in the leaf to halt oxidisation
6. Olympic medalist Ibtihaj Muhammad, an American sabre fencer who became the first athlete to compete while wearing a hijab at the 2016 Rio Olympics, is now the inspiration for which company’s flagship product?
6. Mattel launched the first-ever hijab-wearing Barbie doll. It’s designed after Ibtihaj Muhammad
7. Connect the two vintage Hollywood hits Everybody’s Acting and Two Arabian Knights and what do you arrive at?
7. They were both produced by oil baron Howard Hughes in 1927
8. This endowment was established in the 1960s by a couple to support reproductive choice and petitioning for a reduction of nuclear weapons. Name the couple.
8. Warren Buffet and his wife Susan started this $2.5-billion endowment in the 1960s to support reproductive choice in addition to petitioning for a reduction in nuclear arms
9. Which brand’s punch line reads: “Find your Fun”?
9. Crocs, the footwear brand
10. Identify the brand from the logo and state its philosophy.
10. Apparel brand Escobar Henao created in 2010 by the Medellin cartel leader Pablo Escobar’s son Sebastian Marroquin. He made a documentary (“Sins of my father”) that is a search for reconciliation with the descendants of victims of his father’s violence against the state of Colombia. The brand’s motto is — in peace we trust
One lucky winner will receive a cheque for Rs 2,000. Send your entries to email@example.com. All entries must carry the postal address of the contestant.
Last date for receiving entries: November 24 till 8 pm.
Previous winners and employees of Business Standard and their families are not eligible to participate.
The winner is chosen on the basis of the first correct entry received.
There were five correct entries to Quiz No 538. The winner is Rohit Jain of Meerut