3. Connect a group of indigenous peoples of South America, the Guarani, a Spanish botanist and physician Pedro Jaime Esteve and Coca-Cola.
3. Stevia. The plant Stevia rebaudiana has been used for over 1,500 years by the Guarani, who called it ka’a he’ê (“sweet herb”). The genus was named for Spanish botanist and physician Petrus Jacobus Stevus. Coca-Cola plans to launch Coke with Stevia No Sugar in 2018 in a to-be-announced market outside the US
4. What is common to the following founders: George Eastman of Kodak, Food pioneer and breakfast cereal tycoon CW Post who founded Post Holdings in Battle Creek, Michigan in the early 1900s and Adolph Herman Joseph Coors, Sr. who founded the Adolph Coors Company (now the Molson Coors Brewing Company) in Golden, Colorado in 1873?
4. All of them committed suicide
5. This technique used in brand marketing and product management to help a company decide product(s) to add to its portfolio and opportunities they should continue to invest in was a refinement of the BCG matrix. Name the tool and the firm that hired a rival to BCG and got this strategic tool created.
5. GE hired McKinsey to help improve upon the BCG matrix and came out with the GE multifactoral analysis matrix in the 1970s
6. Name the brand that was born when a young R&D scientist simply froze shower gel in an ice tray to throw up not only a Eureka moment but also a new category for the product. It was launched in 2009.
6. Fiama Di Wills, ITC’s frozen gel soap
7. What is usually the second Monday of December or the last Monday with at least 10 days prior to Christmas called in the US? Name the firm that coined it.
7. Green Monday, coined by eBay to describe its best December sales day
8. MP, Gujarat and UP are the top three states in the production of this spice. An Indic tale states that before an asura impersonating a deva could swallow the immortal elixir called amrit, it fell from his mouth mixed with saliva. The liquid was absorbed by the earth and the spice was born.
9. Which brand’s punch line reads, “A difference that matters”?
9. CFA Institute
10. Identify the brand from the image. It is the symbol of a city in North America and personifies loyalty in marriage.
10. It is found on the label of the rum brand Havana Club. The La Giraldilla wind wane statue found on the watchtower of the Castle of the Royal Force that honours Inés de Bobadilla, Havana's only female governor, who assumed control after her husband Hernando De Soto took an expedition to Florida. She spent years scanning the horizon for his return (not knowing he’d died)
One lucky winner will receive a cheque for Rs 2,000. Send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. All entries must carry the postal address of the contestant. Last date for receiving entries: December 1 till 8 pm. Previous winners and employees of Business Standard and their families are not eligible to participate. The winner is chosen on the basis of the first correct entry received.
There were four correct entries to Quiz No 539. The winner is Aravya Jain of Ludhiana