Arjay Miller Scholars at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. Miller was a dean there from 1963 to 1969
3. He served as the leader of the second largest party (CPI) with 16 MPs in the first Lok Sabha in 1952. He was behind rehabilitating workers of an establishment set up by the British when they were sacked in the 50s. In 2008 this retail chain was ranked among the top Indian consumer brands along with the likes of McDonalds for the CNBC Awaaz Consumer Awards. Name the facilitator (founder in a sense) and the retail chain.
A K Gopalan of Kerala and the Indian Coffee House chain
4. Connect the movies Bicentennial Man (1999) and Terminator Genisys (2015) with a technology brand and what do you arrive at?
The distinctive Oracle Parkway buildings (headquarters). It served as sets for the futuristic headquarters of the fictional company “NorthAm Robotics” in the Robin Williams film Bicentennial Man (1999) and represented the HQ of Cyberdyne Systems in the movie Terminator Genisys
5. It was once a punchline of an Internet joke and is now a formal designation in most US corporations. The title was created to acknowledge awareness that the front desk employee has a crucial position in the public relations and marketing of the business. Name the title.
The receptionist is now being called the director of first impressions
6. This new tech gizmo launched recently was code named “Superlite”. Name it and the company that’s introducing it.
Vaunt, smart eye glasses from Intel
7. Whose is launching a brand called “Afound”?
8. Connect a painting of Jean-Francois Millet, one of the founders of the Barbizon school in rural France, to crossword puzzles?
The publishing company Simon & Schuster’s logo, an adaptation of Millet’s 1850 painting “The Sower”. Crossword puzzles first appeared in the New York World in 1913, and became a popular feature in newspapers. In 1924, Simon’s aunt asked him if there was a book of such puzzles that she could give to a friend. Simon discovered there was none and, with Schuster, launched a company to exploit the opportunity
9. Which person is considered as the “God of the Internet”?
Jim Postal, who helped develop the first node for ARPANET in 1969, the precursor to the modern Internet
10. What does the image represent and also name the character whose head is visible? Hint: The famous dessert Cassatta originated here. It also has an electronics industry region akin to the Silicon Valley.
The flag of the island of Sicily. Its Silicon Valley is called the Etna Valley. The flag is characterised by the presence of the triskelion (trinacria) in its middle, the (winged) head of Medusa (Gorgon) and three wheat ears. The three bent legs allegedly represent the three points of the triangular shape of the island of Sicily
One lucky winner will receive a cheque for Rs 2,000. Send your entries to email@example.com. All entries must carry the postal address of the contestant.
Last date for receiving entries: February 16 till 8 pm. Previous winners and employees of Business Standard and their families are not eligible to participate.
The winner is chosen on the basis of the first correct entry received.
There were eight correct entries to Quiz No 549. The winner is Saleemuddeen from Meerut