1. This product’s global market size is more than $3 billion approx. Though it existed in primitive forms from the 14th to 18th Centuries, its reinvention in the late 1840s is what has given it its present shape. Thanks to a species of trees which belong to the Sapodilla family
(sapota fruit) and the black berry bush aka the bramble. Name it.
The Golf Ball. In 1848, the Rev. Dr. Robert Adams Paterson invented the gutta-percha ball or guttie
2. Connect President Abraham Lincoln’s second inauguration as President in 1865, his assassination subsequently a month later and a brand that is celebrating 200 years of its existence this year.
1865, President Abraham Lincoln wore a custom-made Brooks Brothers coat to his second inauguration
3. What is the connection with the Altaba group owned company Summly and the first skyscraper built in Copenhagen in 1960 and was dubbed as the “punch card” tower?
The Egg Chair. It is the logo of Summly and it was invented by the Danish architect Arne Jacobsen for the SAS Royal Hotel now known as the Radisson Royal Hotel
4. The first record of a Happy Face was found on a stone in a cave and dates back to the Neolithic era, circa 2500 BC found in Nimes, France. The perfectly round stone is a pictograph showing two rounded eyes and a __. In 1996 a French journalist and son duo set up a company and got into the Happiness business. Name them and their company.
The Smiley Company
5. Recently in suit filed by Levis against a competing brand it quoted Leo Christopher Lucier, Levi’s national sales manager in 1936, who said that “no other maker of overalls can have any other purpose in putting a coloured tab on an outside patch pocket, unless for the express and sole purpose of copying our mark, and confusing the customer”. Who infringed upon this trademark of Levi’s?
French luxury brand Kenzo owned by LVMH, was accused of copying Levi’s tab by putting tabs on the denim pieces in its new collection fronted by pop star Britney Spears
6. Connect the term “what’s up” or “what’s happened” when translated into a Southern Indo Aryan language spoken in India with Microsoft
Microsoft’s Kaizala, a made in India app which is designed and used for large group communications and work management
7. Which brand uses these punch lines for ads of its product categories—"Stubborn is Invincible”, “First is Forever” and “Can’t is a Challenge”?
Mercedes Benz for its G-class SUVs and AMG models
8. Noble rot is the beneficial form of a grey fungus, Botrytis cinerea, affecting a particular kind of crop. In which industry is this fungus a prized possession?
Wine making industry. Grapes when picked at a certain point during infestation can produce particularly fine and concentrated sweet wine. Wines produced by this method are known as botrytized wines.
9. Name the brand and its ambassador which uses this line and hashtag “I am __ I am light”? It is printed on the product packaging also.
Bath fittings and sanitary ware major Jaquar Group roped in actress Deepika Padukone as the brand ambassador for its lighting vertical. I am Deepika I am light is the tag line
10. Connect the logo with a very formal fashion accessory. Name the owner of this logo and the fashion accessory.
The term blazer originated with the red "blazers" of the Lady Margaret Boat Club (1825), the rowing club of St. John's College, Cambridge. The Lady Margaret club jackets were termed blazers because of the bright red cloth.
One lucky winner will receive a cheque for Rs 2,000. Send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. All entries must carry the postal address of the contestant.
Last date for receiving entries April 20 till 8 pm. Previous winners and employees of Business Standard and their families are not eligible to participate.
The winner is chosen on the basis of the first correct entry received.
There were 11 correct entries to Quiz No 558. The winner is Sandeep Kumar Toor from Bokaro Steel City