With a net internal rate of return (IRR) of 89.2 per cent, ChrysCapital-III (2004) has been the best performing fund across vintage, followed by India Value Fund-I (34%) and Baring India Private Equity Fund (32%). Funds between 2006 and 2009 and the ones between 2010 and 2014 have delivered median net IRR of 8% and 6.4%, respectively. These are some key insights from a recent report by data firm Preqin on alternative assets in India.
* $24 bn AUM of private equity & venture capital in India as of Dec 2016, more than all other alternative asset classes
* $14 bn AUM of growth funds, $8.4 bn AUM of venture capital, almost comparable to $10bn for real estate funds
* $7 bn Cumulative dry powder (capital available for investment) with India-based PE, VC and buyout funds
* 96 India-focused private equity funds in market targeting to raise $13 billion as of August 2017
* 8% Median net IRR ($ terms) delivered by 15 funds between 2006-09, with min IRR of -11.2% & max IRR of 16.1%
Top performing funds in India by vintage
Top-10 performing India based private capital funds
India based private equity and venture capital assets
Alternative assets include private equity & venture capital, real estate, infrastructure, private debt and hedge funds; Due to immaturity of the natural resources market in India, the AUM figure could not be calculated for private capital at present.
Source: Preqin Insight: Alternative Assets in India, November 2017