Hashimoto, who was appointed as the Olympic minister last year by outgoing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, made the remarks when responding to IOC vice-president John Coates' claim on Monday that the Tokyo Olympics will go ahead next year regardless of the coronavirus situation.
Coates said the Games will start as planned on July 23 "with or without Covid-19", stressing that the Olympics has never been cancelled outside of world wars.
Tokyo 2020 organising committee spokesman Masa Takaya said that Coates' comments have shown that the IOC is "fully committed" to delivering the Games. He said that Tokyo 2020 will "carefully monitor the situation" and take countermeasures to ensure a safe and secure Games.
But he played down Hashimoto's determination when asked if the pandemic could not be fully contained next year.
"We do not want to speculate on any situation. Considering the possibility of (further) postponement or cancellation, in case of any discussion, the IOC, Tokyo 2020 and key partners will have to sit together for any possible options at that time," he said.
Tokyo 2020 president Yoshiro Mori has said that the delayed Tokyo Olympics could not be held next year if the Covid-19 pandemic continues as it is. He also said that the Games will have to be canceled if it could not be held next year.
A total of 331 new cases were confirmed in Japan on Tuesday, including 170 from Tokyo, the epicentre of Japan's outbreak. The Tokyo metropolitan government has maintained its highest alert level on its four-tier scale, meaning "infections are spreading" in the capital.
Abe, who played an important role in helping Tokyo win the bid to host the Olympic Games seven years ago, will be replaced by one of the three candidates vying for the top post of his ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) next week.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.