Australia's Mitchell Starc
Star Australian pacer Mitchell Starc has reached a settlement in his fight for an insurance payout of USD 1.53 million for losing his IPL deal with Kolkata Knight Riders due to an injury in 2018.
According to a report in the 'Sydney Morning Herald', "The settlement came on Monday, just two days before the case was due to be heard in the Victorian County Court."
"Terms of the agreement, including a financial settlement, were not yet released but are due to be filed within days."
Starc, who bagged a USD 1.8 million (Rs 9.4 crore) contract with KKR ahead of the 2018 IPL, couldn't play a single match due to a right leg injury.
The left-arm pacer had claimed that on March 10, 2018, he started feeling pain in his right calf while bowling on uneven footmarks on a worn pitch during the second Test in South Africa.
It worsened over the next few bowling sessions and during the third Test match, he fractured his right tibial bone.
Starc needed to prove that "he suffered a single, sudden and unexpected event which occurred at an identifiable time and place" to avail the insurance.
He had filed a lawsuit against his insurers in April last year. The insurers had disputed the timing of the injury in the second Test at Port Elizabeth.
Starc's manager Andrew Fraser had tried mediation in May and furnished video footage of the second Test against South Africa to prove that he got injured real-time and deserves the payout but the talks failed.
Both sides had filed medical reports claiming the opposite.
Starc took the help of orthopaedic surgeon Russel Miller, who said the injury was "complex and multifactorial" but "it is likely, on the balance of probabilities, that at specific injury occurred on 10/03/2018 which was associated with extreme physical activity including bowling on a pitch with uneven footmarks'."
However, Doctor Seamus Dalton, on behalf of the insurer, said: "In my opinion the plaintiff did not suffer an injury or accident on 10 March 2018...Onset appears to have been gradual and symptoms continued over the course of the Test.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.