"I just couldn't do it all," the 32-year-old Gardiner said of his packed schedule, which included driving several times per week from Tipperary to Ireland's high-performance training center in the capital 100 miles away.
"The year was going by, I was getting older, I have the responsibility of being a father, I have a responsibility to give everything to my college," he said.
"I have other priorities now that are higher up the list than boxing."
Gardiner is just the latest athlete deciding against another Olympic run. Lin Dan, a two-time Olympic champion in badminton from China, retired last year.
British rower Tom Ransley and Australian cyclist Amy Cure are out. Japanese rugby player Kenki Fukuoka said he will pursue a medical career.
Australian basketball player Andrew Bogut had hoped to finish his career in Tokyo last year, but he announced his retirement in December, saying "I just can't physically and mentally get to 2021."
Belgian swimmer Pieter Timmers and his wife, Elle De Leeuw, had drawn up what they had called their "watertight" plan. It included Tokyo
and moving to a new house with their 3-year-old daughter.
"I was going to stop after the Olympics," said Timmers, who turned 33 on Thursday.
Timmers won a silver medal in the 100-meter freestyle at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, bringing home Belgium's first Olympic swimming medal in 20 years. He also anchored two sprint relay teams.
"It's extremely unlucky because I had an opportunity to go to my third Olympics and do well," said Timmers, who also competed at the 2012 London Games.
He retired in November after competing in the International Swimming League. Continuing would be unfair to his family, he said.
"It's not practical to keep swimming for one more year, he said.
About 11,000 athletes are expected to compete in the Olympics set to start on July 23. The Paralympics add another 4,400 athletes. Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has framed the games as proof of human victory against the coronavirus."
The International Olympic Committee and local organizers are adamant the games will happen, but there's also speculation around them being canceled.
Along with his new responsibilities, Gardiner was also fed up with the uncertainty. He held out hope that Europe's qualifying tournament postponed last March would be held in February. If so, he may have given it a shot. He was scheduled to fight in the round of 16.
"But when they got moved back to April, I was like, 'I'm not going to be able to do it,'" he said.
"I was also thinking they might get moved back (yet) again. Gardiner would have qualified for Rio if he beat Italian boxer Guido Vianello in qualifying held in Azerbaijan in 2016, but he came up short.
The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Irishman has also traded blows in the amateur ranks with Joe Joyce, who is now 12-0 as a professional.
Gardiner has turned down opportunities to go pro and said he's now fully focused on life after boxing. He's even hoping to distance himself from his well-known nickname, Breakfast, which he picked up in childhood, not from his physique.
"I was in my prime last year, and I'm still just about there, he said. "But there's only one place as an amateur boxer where I'm going to go, that's downhill a bit because I'm nearly 33.
I felt a bit of relief when I made the decision.
(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.
As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.
Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.