Amazon Prime has launched its Prime Video service in Mumbai today. Amazon is all geared-up to give a tough fight to Netflix that recently announced its first local series 'Sacred Games'. Amazon Prime Video will offer the users unlimited approach to streaming of exclusive Amazon Originals, movies, and TV shows on a subscription basis. The new Amazon Prime video service can be seen as an extension of Amazon's Prime service which offers services like free delivery of products on a priority basis, along with an early access to lightning deals.
Amazon has made the "Amazon Prime Video" app available on Android and iOS. If you are an existing Amazon Prime subscriber, then you can start using the app immediately.
Here are the top 10 things to know about the Amazon's new service:
1. Amazon launched the Prime subscription service in India in July, and its video service launch has been was awaited since then.
2. Amazon Prime Video service has been launched in India at a price of Rs 499.
3. Amazon announced last month that it will be bringing its Prime Video service in the country along with 200 other countries worldwide.
4. Amazon Prime Video service, which is currently available in countries like US, UK, Germany, and Austria, offers content including Amazon Original series like The Grand Tour, Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, The Man in the High Castle, and the Tumble Leaf among others.
5. Amazon has already announced partnerships with content partners for Prime Video specific TV shows and movies which includes Bollywood and Hollywood blockbusters, Hollywood TV shows and kids’ programming.
6. Amazon Prime Video service can also be challenging for Netflix India, which had started its operations earlier this year. Amazon Prime service Video is available at a subscription of Rs 499 while the lowest Netflix plan is at Rs 500 per month. Hotstar also stands in the list which offers premium services at Rs 199 per month.
7. TOI has earlier reported that Amazon partnered with Dharma Productions and T-series to stream some of its existing and upcoming movies. It has also signed a content deal with Green Gold Animation to stream shows of Chhota Bheem, Super Bheem and Mighty Raju.
8. Bollywood filmmakers as well as founders of comedy collective All India Bakchod will join Amazon Prime Video’s international VP Tim Lesley at the launch. That can also be taken as an indicator of how Amazon Prime Video hopes to go one-up on Netflix, which has been popular in urban India since its launch in January.
9. Amazon's months-long approach at getting local content on its platform was on display last week when service went live accidentally and users got an early access to the service.
10. According to a Medianama report, the catalogue includes prominent Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil and Telugu titles along with some English language films.